Monday, July 27, 2015

Teacher Appreciation Afghans

Sorry it's been so long since I posted! I'm not the world's best blogger, obviously. But, if you're open to excuses, I was on bed rest for 15 weeks, then had a baby in February, and then had to deal with colic for a couple of months after that... all while finishing my Associate's Degree and starting my Bachelor's Degree... so I'm just now getting to a point where life feels a little "normal" again. During that time period I did manage to work on an afghan for my daughter's teacher, which is something I did for her Kindergarten teacher as well and seems to be becoming a bit of a tradition. Last year I made a St. Louis Cardinals "graphgan" because her teacher was a big Cards fan.

This graph was from Loopaghans --message
her for a list of graphs she has available.
(Sorry the picture is such poor quality!)

This year her teacher was really girly, so I tried to go with something girly without being so girly that her husband wouldn't want it used on their bed or as a throw in the living room. It took a little trial and error to get the colors figured out, and I made a huge mistake on the second row by messing up every single hexagon... which led to me having to go with sort of a "striped" effect alternating the way the hexagons are meant to be and how I messed them up in the second row, but it ended up working out ok. And, if you're still open to excuses, I did have a lot going on that made it hard to concentrate on crocheting. I was pretty happy with the finished product though and do plan to make more hexagon afghans in the future using the same pattern, but it will probably be a while before I forget just how long this one took me. I made the teacher cry because she loved it so much though --she called it an "heirloom"-- so all the work was definitely worth it in the end!

I used a pattern by Lucy of Attic24 for the hexagons, and border #16 from
the book "Around the Corner Crochet Borders" (with an extra round).

No comments:

Post a Comment