Saturday, August 4, 2012

Flower Girl Dress

So ... this post isn't about knitting or crocheting. Whoops! Sorry! But I'm really excited about this dress I just finished up last night for my daughter to wear in my brother-in-law's wedding this October. I found the inspiration dress on Pinterest ... but it was $102 when I finally found it on etsy. Like I have $102 to spend on a dress my 4 year old is going to wear one time! So I decided to make it myself. I used to make tutu skirts for my daughter and her friends when she was a toddler anyways, so I knew I could handle that much of it. I even had two spools of lavender tulle left over from then, so I saved money right there. And I had lavender thread, so there was more money saved. All I needed was some stretchy crochet elastic material for the bodice and flowers to sew on. Lucky for me Fairy Flowers and Bows was able to make all the flowers I needed, as well as a head piece for her to wear if she's not willing to sit still while someone does her hair that day (which is likely, she doesn't even like me putting her hair in a ponytail most days), for $30. So when it was all said and done I made almost the same dress for less than $40, and that's factoring in the cost of the tulle and thread I already had. That works much better for me. I still need to sew a little lavender slip for underneath that attaches to the bodice to keep her undies from showing, but even after that it'll be right at $40 for all the materials. It's definitely not as good as the inspiration dress, but for 60% less cost I think it's pretty good.

(The big flower doesn't look as odd and out of place in person as it
does in the close-up of the bodice.
)

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissa! I'm kind of proud of how it turned out. And my girly-girl little 4 year old is SO excited to dress up like a princess.

    ReplyDelete