Sunday, August 12, 2012

Another Mermaid Photo Prop

Pattern can be found at Caleigh’s Clips.

I knew I was going to end up making several of these. I just love the crocodile stitch and how pretty the yarn works up. This time I tried out the Prism1 colorway with an Amethyst2 top and crown. As much as I love the colorway of the tail, I had a really hard time coming up with colors to match for the top, crown, and flower. I originally wanted to do some sort of magenta color to make the top really "pop", but the colors I tried just looked out of place in the end. Then I tried a darker purple, and it still didn't really "go". Then I thought about a turquoise or green ... but nothing quite looked right. I'm happy with the Amethyst, even if it's not what I really had in mind. The flower I like for the most part ... I just wish I could have found a blue that matched a little better for the bottom layer. I'll have to keep looking for next time. And the crown was the most frustrating. I didn't want it to be the same color as the top. I wanted each piece to "pop" separately, on their own ... but no other color looked right for the crown. I tried green, blue, and that golden color you can make out here and there, but they all looked very wrong with the rest of the set. Oh well I guess. I think the flower headband is cuter with the set anyways, lol. :-P Overall I think it turned out pretty cute though. Hopefully when I see it modeled by a sweet baby girl I'll like it even more!
1: Lion Brand "Tweed Stripes".
2: Hobby Lobby "I Love This Yarn".

4 comments:

  1. Both of these mermaid photo props you have shared are adorable and I LOVE the colors. I want to try my hand at making one of these and know someone that will be having a little girl soon. She will be so sweet in this little mermaid outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so much easier to make then they seem like they will be just by looking at them. I bet your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any idea if there is a free pattern anywhere for a mermaid photo prop similar to this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I have not found much for free with the mermaid photo props. There are some cheaper than the pattern I used, all you have to do is search "mermaid newborn set pattern" on Etsy or "mermaid newborn set" on Ravelry. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

    ReplyDelete